Many people are faced with the fact that they sometimes have severe itching of the scalp.
But only a few will ask themselves the question of why this is happening. Even fewer men and women with a similar problem turn to a trichologist.
The reasons for which the head constantly scratches and there is a lot of irritation - from parasitic diseases to the banal non-compliance with the rules of personal hygiene and the incorrect selection of cosmetic products for the care of curls. Next we look at each factor in more detail.
The causes of itching on the head
Itching itself can not appear. Most often, its appearance is provoked by the following factors:
- the appearance of lice or ticks;
- allergic to used hair care products (shampoos, balms, styling gels and mousses, etc.)
- paint allergy;
- allergic to detergents that wash clothes and bedclothes;
- dry scalp;
- fungal diseases.
Causes of itchy scalp and hair loss can be very different, ranging from improper hair care and ending fungal and infectious diseases. Let's look at why the head can itch and how to get rid of this ailment.
The disease, the main causative agent of which are lice - insects, parasitic on humans. The main habitats of lice are armpits, pubis, eyebrows, mustaches and, of course, the head.
Pediculosis is accompanied by severe skin itching, the appearance of red spots on the skin from insect bites, because the lice feed exclusively on blood.
Another frequent culprit is the appearance of irritation on the scalp. Its cause is excessive fat formation and changes in the composition of the sebaceous secretions. Depending on the condition of the skin and the activity of the sebaceous glands, it can be dry, oily or mixed. Very often, seborrhea causes severe peeling of the scalp, which is called dandruff.
As a rule, seborrheic dermatitis is a serious chronic disease that is difficult to cure on its own. The treatment should be complex and last for several months - here you can find special medical shampoos, and dermatological lotions, and medications, and immunomodulators, and a therapeutic diet.
With severe itching, many patients instantly suspect the presence of parasites on the scalp. First of all, we are talking about lice or ticks.
Completely exclude or confirm that the cause of the itch in a parasitic attack can only be a doctor. Well, before visiting the doctor, you can carefully examine the scalp, and it is good that someone from close can do it, armed with a magnifying glass.
May occur from thermal effects on the hair and skin - frequent blow-drying, the use of an iron to smooth hair or curling curls. Other causes of dryness: severe depletion of the body, frequent washing of hair, diet with a sharp restriction of fat, old age (when the glands almost cease to function).
As a result, an insufficient amount of sebum is produced, the hair becomes thin and fragile, and quickly absorbs moisture.
Many girls, without knowing it, provoke the appearance of pruritus. And frequent washing of the head is no exception. In addition, the regular use of a hair dryer for drying hair, straighteners and many other devices for hair not only dries out the skin, but also negatively affects the condition of the hair itself.
In such cases, it is necessary to abandon the frequent change of brands of hair care products, use proven tools, while keeping an eye on the condition of the scalp. At the slightest hint of itching and burning, you should immediately abandon their use.
Allergy skin can react to anything: shampoo, hair mask, new cosmetics and so on. In this case, you should immediately abandon the skin irritating agent and switch to a neutral shampoo that does not contain sodium lauryl sulfate.
Due to constant high loads, itchy scalp may occur. Excessive tension in the spine and shoulders usually has a great effect. In addition, the tension of the muscles of the head hampers blood flow in the vessels, which also contributes to the development of itching.
Deprive a person
Deprive is a contagious lesion of the skin of a fungal nature. This problem is common among children who are in contact with children's groups or contagious animals. The main signs of lichen is the occurrence on the scalp of the head of highly itchy lesions, in the area where the hair is broken off or completely fall out (see photo depriving a person).
How to get rid of itching?
Such a problem as itching is often left without proper attention, which cannot be done in any way. A sick person should establish as soon as possible the reason why the scalp is itchy.
To do this, you need to analyze your lifestyle - it will probably help to establish a causal relationship. If the cause is found, then you can solve the question of how to eliminate itchy scalp.
Treatment of itchy scalp
In the case of itching of the scalp, before starting treatment, it is important to understand that this is a symptom, not a pathology. Therefore, by establishing the cause of its appearance and eliminating it, you can get rid of this unpleasant symptom.
- Getting rid of itching and irritation caused by head lice includes killing pathogens with Medifox or Medifox-super. It must be remembered that these drugs are toxic, therefore, strictly follow the instructions of the instructions and the attending physician. Medifox solution process the head, and then carefully washed. You can also use other drugs against lice - Nittifor, Lauri, Butadione, Paraplus. After getting rid of parasites, it is recommended to boil the linen accessories for 15-20 minutes.
- If we are talking about seborrhea, then its treatment is much more complicated than getting rid of parasites. In the process of treating the disease, you must carefully follow a diet, sleep and avoid stress. In addition, it is important to carefully monitor the condition and cleanliness of the scalp.
- Itchy scalp itching is treated by treating the head with antifungal agents.
- If itching is associated with dryness or lack of necessary trace elements, then you should use moisturizing masks and take a course of vitamins, respectively.
Treatment of itching depends on the cause that caused it. Indeed, after it is possible to establish the cause, it is not difficult to find a way of treatment - modern medicine knows a lot of drugs for this purpose.
Popular methods will help to cope with unpleasant sensations, as well as prevent combing of the scalp:
- A simple but very effective folk method is onion peel. Fill it with a liter of water and boil for an hour. Rinse your head with each decoction after each wash. Already after a couple of procedures, itching will disappear.
- Dandelion and lemon. Take a handful of dandelion flowers, chop, pour 50 ml. vodka. Next, add 1 tsp. honey, juice of one lemon. Put the mixture for 2 weeks in a warm place, then strain. Before washing the head, make a mask of such lotion for 40 minutes under the film and a warm towel.
- Apple vinegar. It should also be rubbed into the scalp, but this should be done five to ten minutes before washing. Vinegar must be diluted with water before use.
To cure itchy scalp caused by fungal infections, you can use special shampoos.
Shampoo for itchy scalp
Specific shampoo is selected taking into account the existing problem. It can be:
- Malathion (Pedilin);
- Ecoderm, etc.
Most of the scalp itch remedies include ketoconazole, a substance that has a pronounced effect against some types of fungi, selenium disulfide, preventing dandruff, and permethrin, an insecticide, which is aimed at destroying insects on the surface of human skin.