Valvir is a drug belonging to the group of antiviral drugs with a rather narrow spectrum of action.
The active ingredient of the drug is valacyclovir hydrochloride hydrate. The drug affects a virus such as herpes, an infection caused by a cold that Valvira copes with in just a few days. The drug is quickly absorbed and excreted through the kidneys.
On this page you will find all the information about Valvir: complete instructions for use for this drug, average prices in pharmacies, complete and incomplete analogues of the drug, as well as reviews of people who have already used Valvir. Want to leave your opinion? Please write in the comments.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released without a prescription.
How much is Valvir? The average price in pharmacies is 800 rubles.
Release form and composition
Ingredients 1 tablet:
- active ingredient: valacyclovir - 500 or 1000 mg (valaciclovir hydrochloride hydrate - 611.7 or 1223.4 mg);
- additional components: povidone K30 - 24.5 / 49 mg, microcrystalline cellulose - 59.6 / 119.2 mg, magnesium stearate - 4.2 / 8.4 mg;
- film shell: Opadry white Y-5-7068 (3cP hypromellose - 7.35 / 14.7 mg, hyprolosis - 6.3 / 12.6 mg, titanium dioxide - 4.2 / 8.4 mg, macrogol / PEG 400 - 2.1 / 4.2 mg, hypromellose 50cP - 1.05 / 2.1 mg) - 21/42 mg.
Product form: biconvex white tablets in a film shell of 500 and 1000 mg in PVC blister No. 7, 10, 14 in a carton.
The active component of the drug is quite quickly converted to L-valine and acyclovir under the specific action of valacyclovirhydrolase. Due to this, inhibitory activity is observed for a number of viruses: herpevirus (1, 2, 6 type), cytomegalovirus, Varicella zoster. It should be borne in mind that Valvir is not an antibiotic, it does not have antimicrobial properties.
The mechanism of action is characterized by a violation of the DNA synthesis process of pathogenic microorganisms. As a result of phosphorylation under the action of various enzymes, acyclovir is converted to acyclovir triphosphate. The short-term transformation process of a substance such as acyclovir is completed by cellular kinases. Triphosphate compounds of acyclovir contribute to the destruction of DNA polymerase of viral cells, there is a gradual blocking of the spread of herpevirus.
In some cases, there is a low sensitivity of various herpeviruses to this drug. This is due to a deficiency of thymidine kinase, which contributes to the active spread of individual strains of viruses.
Indications for use
The drug is used for:
- Treatment of herpes zoster, labial and herpes simplex;
- Preventing the occurrence of herpes and cytomegalovirus infections.
Absolute contraindications to the use of Valvira for the treatment of herpes are recognized several conditions:
- Age up to 12 years.
- Severe HIV infection.
- Bone marrow or kidney transplantation.
Very carefully the drug is prescribed to pregnant and lactating women and patients with dysfunctions of the liver or kidneys.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
Experience in the use of the drug during pregnancy is not enough. Appointment of valacyclovir is recommended only when the therapeutic effect for the mother is higher than the possible risk to the fetus.
Valvira's metabolite, acyclovir, is excreted in breast milk. Breastfeeding is allowed only when the effect of treatment for the mother is significantly higher than the perceived risk to the child.
Instructions for use
The instructions for use indicated that the tablets Valvir prescribed adults inside.
- With herpes zoster - 1000 mg 3 times / day for 7 days.
- For the treatment of labial herpes, the administration of the drug in a dose of 2 g is effective 2 times within 1 day: the second dose should be taken approximately 12 hours (but not earlier than 6 hours) after the first dose (do not use this dosing regimen for more than 1 day, since, as shown, this does not provide additional clinical benefits).
- With herpes simplex - 500 mg 2 times / day. In case of relapse, the course should be 3 or 5 days. In the first episode with a severe course, the duration of treatment can be extended up to 10 days (during relapses, it is ideal to prescribe Valvir in the prodromal period or when the first symptoms of the disease appear, ie, pinching, itching, burning).
- Prevention of infection with genital herpes of a healthy partner: infected heterosexual adults with preserved immunity and with the number of exacerbations up to 9 per year are prescribed 500 mg 1 time / day for 1 year or more, every day with regular sex life, with irregular sex contacts, Valvira intake is necessary start 3 days before the alleged sexual intercourse (data on the prevention of infection in other populations of patients are not available).
- Prevention of recurrence of infections caused by the herpes simplex virus: in patients with preserved immunity - 500 mg 1 time / day; with very frequent relapses (10 or more per year) - 250 mg 2 times / day; for adult patients with immunodeficiency - 500 mg 2 times / day. Course duration - 4-12 months.
- Prevention of cytomegalovirus infection: adults and adolescents over 12 years old - 2 g 4 times / day (as soon as possible after transplantation). The course duration is 90 days, but in patients with high risk, treatment may be longer.
The dose of Valvira is recommended to be reduced in patients with a significant reduction in renal function.
It should be noted that in some cases, patients may experience the following undesirable effects (against the background of the drug intake):
- visual impairment;
- skin rash, photosensitivity and itching;
- hypercreatininemia, a decrease in hemoglobin;
- angioedema and urticaria;
- erythema multiforme;
- abdominal discomfort;
- leukopenia and thrombocytopenia;
- renal impairment;
- thrombocytopenic thrombotic purpura, neutropenia, aplastic anemia and leukoplastic vasculitis;
- hallucinations, agitation, psychotic symptoms, dizziness, encephalopathy, agitation, confusion, depression, dysarthria, mental decline;
- dysmenorrhea, respiratory infections, fever, tachycardia, dehydration, arthralgia, nasopharyngitis, fatigue, swelling of the face, increased pressure and rhinorrhea.
Also, patients complain of headaches and nausea. In addition, the drug often causes quite serious negative phenomena in the form of acute renal failure, thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura, neurological disorders and hemolytic-uremic syndrome.
With a single dose of the drug to 20 g toxic effect is not marked. With repeated use of ultra-high doses for several days, a headache appears, nausea, vomitingconfusion of consciousness.
If side effects occur on the part of the central nervous system (delirium, hallucinations, convulsions), the drug should be discontinued.
Prolonged high doses of Valvira in conditions that are accompanied by pronounced immunodeficiency (bone marrow / kidney transplantation, clinically expressed forms of HIV infection) can lead to hemolytic-uremic syndrome and the occurrence of thrombocytopenic purpura, up to a fatal outcome. Therapy is canceled in cases of the appearance of adverse reactions from the central nervous system, including agitation, hallucinations, confusion, delirium, convulsions and encephalopathy.
If there is a likelihood of dehydration, especially in elderly patients, it is necessary to ensure adequate hydration of the body. An increased risk of neurological complications is observed in patients with renal failure.
The study did not establish the clinically significant interaction of this drug with other drugs.
We picked up some feedback from people about Valvir:
- Oksana. I occasionally have herpes exacerbations from adolescence. I accept Valvir on the recommendation of an infectious disease specialist since I was 18 years old. I drink pills 3 r. 1000 mg per day. The drug quickly relieves itching and swelling and speeds up the healing process of the bubbles. New items do not appear.
- Alexander. The therapist prescribed kogatel propyl with shingles. The infectious disease agent prescribed valvir 7 days 3 times a day before taking acyclovir tablets and ointment for blistering. And all this is not harmful, and what are the consequences? pains are present blisters crusted not completely covered ...
- Galina. Valvir with herpes helped me bring down the temperature, which lasted more than a week within 37 - 37.7 ° C. Of the side effects, I note only drowsiness and light dizziness, but they did not affect the overall performance.
The Valvira structural analogues for the active substance include:
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
The drug Valvir must be stored in a place inaccessible to children, at a temperature of 25 grams C. The storage time is 2 years from the date of issue.