Corvalol is no longer just a drug, but an element of the subculture for the elderly, which is an integral part of their life, like a cup of tea for their favorite TV series.
Its moderate sedative effect makes it possible to use the drug as a sedative in case of sleep disorders, increased irritability and neurosis, and the vasodilating effect contributes to the correction of functional deviations of the cardiovascular system
On this page you will find all the information about Corvalol: complete instructions for use for this drug, average prices in pharmacies, complete and incomplete analogues of the drug, as well as reviews of people who have already used Corvalol. Want to leave your opinion? Please write in the comments.
Clinical and pharmacological group
The drug with a sedative and antispasmodic action.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released without a doctor's prescription.
How much does Corvalol cost? The average price in pharmacies is 30 rubles for drops and 130 rubles for tablets.
Release form and composition
The following dosage forms of Corvalol are produced:
- Drops (in dark-glass dropper bottles of 10, 15, 25, 30 or 50 ml, 100 ml cans; in a cardboard box, 1 bottle or jar each);
- Tablets - flat, round, beveled to the edge, white or almost white, with inclusions (in blister packs of 10 pcs .; in a carton pack of 2, 10, 30, 50, or 100 packs).
Ingredients 1 tablet:
- Active ingredients: peppermint oil - 0.58 mg, α-bromizovaleric acid ethyl ester - 8.2 mg, phenobarbital - 7.5 mg;
- Auxiliary components: microcrystalline cellulose - 10.5 mg, magnesium stearate - 0.9 mg, beta-cyclodextrin - 55.55 mg, lactose monohydrate - 43.77 mg, potato starch - 13 mg.
The composition of 1 ml drops:
- Active ingredients: phenobarbital - 18.26 mg, α-bromizovaleric acid ethyl ester - 20 mg;
- Auxiliary components: peppermint oil, ethanol 95%, purified water, sodium hydroxide.
Corvalol is a sedative and antispasmodic drug, the effect of which is determined by the components it contains.
- Phenobarbital. Active phenobarbital is a sedative component that inhibits the spread of nerve impulses to the neurons of the cerebral cortex. Thanks to this substance a feeling of lethargy appears with a pronounced decrease in the speed of reactions. The compound soothes the nervous system, causing sleep. Useful for hyperactive personalities.
- Peppermint oil. This substance is rich in menthol esters. When it is taken in humans, vasodilation is noted and intestinal contractility increases. Peppermint oil is an excellent antispasmodic for many internal structures. Corvalol has the taste of peppermint, which contributes to the antiseptic effect in the oral cavity.
- Ethyl ether "a-bromizovalerianic acid". Contained alcohol affects the sensitive endings that are in the pharynx and oral cavity, reducing the level of excitability of the nervous apparatus. This creates a characteristic inhibition with the development of sedative and antispasmodic effects. Taking large doses of the drug leads to the formation of a hypnotic effect.
Corvalol reduces the stimulating effect on the vasomotor centers, peripheral and coronary vessels, lowering the total arterial pressure, thereby removing and preventing vasospasm of the vessels, especially the heart.
Indications for use
As a sedative and vasodilator drug Corvalol is prescribed for the following diseases:
- vegetative lability;
- in sleepless conditions, especially in violation of sleep;
- neurotic states, irritability, hypochondria syndrome;
- disorders of the cardiovascular system (sinus tachycardia, cardialgia, various disorders of blood pressure).
- As a spasmolytic agent, Corvalol is indicated for muscle spasms of the organs of the gastrointestinal tract, such as intestinal or biliary colic.
What is the danger of Corvalol?
- This is a popular tool in the countries of the former USSR, but prohibited in Poland, Germany, USA, Norway, and Lithuania. Restrictive measures have been taken due to the presence of the psychoactive compound phenobarbital in the Corvalol composition, as well as the toxic bromine-containing component.
- It is phenobarbital that causes fast and highly addictive - in some cases, 2-3 weeks is enough to take the means to develop drug dependence. Moreover, phenobarbital causes not only physical but also psychological dependence.
- After the cancellation of Corvalol, people develop a so-called "cancellation syndrome" - a depressed condition, the patient complains of constant nausea, intense headaches.
However, the drug has one important advantage - it has the fastest and most powerful effect. If you take it in small doses and extremely moderately, then Corvalol can quickly, almost instantly, relieve anxiety. In fact, the recommended doses of the drug are not dangerous, but the problem is that if you take it constantly, then you need to increase the dosage. The most dangerous thing is that these doses do not just increase each time, but lead to real pleasure: the depressed state and dizziness are replaced by euphoria immediately after consuming the right dose.
For both dosage forms:
- Lactation period (or should stop breastfeeding);
- Severe hepatic / renal failure;
- Hypersensitivity to the components.
Tablets, in addition, are contraindicated in the following cases:
- Lactose intolerance, lactase deficiency, glucose-galactose malabsorption (due to the lactose content);
- Age up to 18 years (experience of using the drug in this dosage form in this age group is absent).
With extreme caution, Corvalol in the form of drops can be prescribed during pregnancy.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
Corvalol during pregnancy is contraindicated, since phenobarbital can very adversely affect the development of the baby.
Phenobarbital has a depressant effect on the nervous system of both the mother and the baby, impairs blood coagulation, causing bleeding in the first days of life in the newborn. Abuse of Corvalol in the third trimester of gestation is addictive and subsequent withdrawal syndrome, which can be traced to the child in the development of seizures and strong excitability after delivery or in the first two weeks of life.
The use of the drug during breastfeeding is also contraindicated.
Instructions for use
The instructions for use indicate that Corvalol drops are taken orally before eating.
- How much does an adult need? Usually it is 15-30 drops, they must first be dissolved in a small amount (30-50 ml) of water, 2-3 times / day. A single dose if necessary (for example, with tachycardia) can be increased to 40-50 drops.
- Children - 3-15 drops / day (depending on the age and clinical picture of the disease).
The duration of the drug is determined by the doctor individually.
Instructions for tablets
The dose is set individually. Take inside, before meals, drink water. Adults are usually prescribed 1-2 tablets 2 times a day. With tachycardia, a single dose can be increased to 3 tablets. The maximum daily dose is 6 tablets.
The duration of the drug is determined by the doctor individually.
At observance of the dosages of the medicine specified in the instruction, drops of Corvalol are well tolerated by patients. In some cases, the following adverse reactions may develop in individuals with increased individual sensitivity:
- Tremor of the limbs;
- Nausea, vomiting, bloating;
- Dizziness, weakness, drowsiness, lethargy, lethargy;
- Slow heart rate per minute, lowering blood pressure.
As a rule, all these phenomena quickly pass independently after the cancellation of therapy.
Overdose is possible in the case of frequent and long-term use of the drug, which is associated with the process of cumulation of its components. Quite a long and constant use can provoke addiction, psychomotor agitation and withdrawal syndrome. Abrupt refusal to take Corvalol can trigger withdrawal syndrome.
Symptoms of overdose include:
- oppression of the central nervous system;
- confused consciousness;
- falling asleep
In severe cases of drug poisoning, respiratory failure, tachycardia, arrhythmia, lowering blood pressure, collapse and coma may occur.
Treat overdose with Corvalol by using symmetrical therapy. When depression of the nervous system is shown niketamid, caffeine.
Experience with the use of the drug in children under 18 is missing.
Alcohol should not be taken while using the drug.
It is recommended to refrain from engaging in potentially hazardous activities, including driving vehicles.
Drugs that inhibit the central nervous system, enhance the effect of the drug.
The effect of the drug increases with the use of valproic acid.
Phenobarbital (an inducer of microsomal oxidation) can reduce the effectiveness of drugs metabolized in the liver (including coumarin, griseofulvin, glucocorticosteroids, oral contraceptives); enhances the action of local anesthetic, analgesic and hypnotic drugs. The drug enhances the toxicity of methotrexate.
We picked up some reviews of people taking Corvalol:
- Denis. I've been taking Corvalol from my irritability, but my concentration decreased from it, although it helped. I switched to valoserdin, the effect is the same, but there is no problem with concentration.
- Ira The heart began to act up, prick, and it seemed as if it was compressed to breathe heavily, the pain in the scapula was to be given away. I bought it in the first pill I gave for the package 170r. in a pack of two plates of 10 pieces, bought in Pyatigorsk. Today, for the first time I drank about 2 hours ago 2 pieces ... my heart began to beat normally, it stopped hurting ... the feeling of anxiety almost disappeared. I want to drink this pack of 2 tablets in the morning and evening. Hope to help.
- Masha. I tried a lot of sedatives. One time I came across a Corvalol in the first-aid kit and decided to try. At that time I had a lot of stress associated with studying - first of all, this is a constant moral tension and problems with sleep. I read pre-reviews - many of them are negative. Many people do not like the composition (after all, it includes phenobarbital), someone is irritated by a strong smell ... I personally had the opposite impression. Corvalol is a cheap and truly effective sedative. The smell and taste of me personally is not annoying, but the effect of the application is instant. Yes, you should not get involved in this medicine, you need to follow the instructions. But, in my opinion, Corvalol is one of the best sedatives that will help get rid of fears, anxiety, depression.
- Nadia. Corvalol in drops quite quickly and effectively acting on my body. I have a congenital heart disease, for this reason I can’t be particularly nervous. at the slightest emotional overload, my heart begins to pounding wildly and hurt unbearably. These drops help me a lot, especially in stressful situations. The only drawback of these drops, (as well as of all drugs in this category) is their not pleasant smell. Just tested on personal experience, you should not take them on toshchak. Although the drug in drops is convenient because it acts quickly, but it is also a minus because not very convenient to use it outside the home.
Corvalol is one of the most affordable and cheap sedatives that does not lose its popularity even in the face of the emergence of a large number of other, more modern, drugs for insomnia or anxiety. He is loved also by elderly patients with a combined pathology of internal organs, and young people suffering from panic attacks and various manifestations of neurosis.
Stocking up for the future and regularly replenishing the first-aid kit with fresh bubbles with Corvalol, you should not forget that this drug has a number of serious side effects and contraindications, therefore reading the instructions and consulting a doctor is an essential action when using Corvalol and any other drug.
The following remedies are similar in their therapeutic effect with Corvalol:
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Corvalol or Valocordin - which is better?
You can see that the difference in the composition of Valocordin and Corvalol is very small. The only difference is that the first one contains a small amount of hop oil, which has a calming and antispasmodic effect.
- Valocordin is a preparation based on ethyl bromisovalerianate (18.4 mg / g), phenobarbital (18.4 mg / g), mint oil (1.29 mg / g), hop oil (0.18 mg / g), 96% th ethanol (469.75 mg / g), purified water (411.97 mg).
Doctors to the question what is better - Valocordin or Corvalol, answer that the drugs are absolutely identical. Both of them quickly eliminate discomfort and pain in the heart, and, if used in time, can prevent an attack of stenocardia and myocardial infarction. Since Corvalol is a domestic drug, and Valocordin is produced by the German company Krewel Meuselbach GmbH, the first is cheaper.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Store in a dark place, out of reach of children at a temperature: tablets - 15-25 ºС, drops - up to 15 ºС.
Shelf life of tablets - 2 years, drops - 1.5 years.