Tetracycline eye ointment is used in the treatment of inflammatory eye diseases.
Due to its composition, it has a broad spectrum antibacterial effect. Tetracycline is a broad-spectrum antibiotic with bacteriostatic properties. The substance affects gram-negative and gram-positive microorganisms. These include: staphylococcus, streptococcus, gonococcus, pneumococcus, salmonella, chlamydia, clostridium, E. coli, rickettsia, mycoplasma.
Tetracycline eye ointment is used only on prescription. It can be purchased at a pharmacy without a prescription, but it is not recommended to use it for self-treatment.
A broad-spectrum antibiotic for topical use.
Terms of sale from pharmacies
Can be bought without a doctor's prescription.
How much is a tetracycline ointment in pharmacies? The average price is at the level of 65 rubles.
Composition and release form
Tetracycline ointment is a broad-spectrum antibiotic with bacteriostatic properties (it blocks the multiplication of bacteria). The main component of the drug is tetracycline. Depending on its quantity, the drug can be of 2 types:
- 1% (eye) - 10,000 IU (0.01 g) of tetracycline 1 g of ointment. Excipients: lanolin and mineral oil.
- 3% (for external use) - 30,000 IU (0.03 g) of tetracycline per g ointment. Excipients: ceresin, anhydrous lanolin, petrolatum, paraffin and sodium sulphite.
Tetracycline is a broad spectrum bacteriostatic antibiotic from the tetracycline group. Disrupts the formation of a complex between transport RNA and the ribosome, which leads to disruption of protein synthesis.
Active against gram-positive (Staphylococcus spp., Including those producing penicillinase; Streptococcus spp. (Including Streptococcus pneumoniae); Haemophilus influenzae, Listeria spp., Bacillus anthracis), and Gram-negative microorganisms (in the design of the neuro-system and in the design of the neurotechrophyte, neuralisp spp., Bacillus anthracis), and Gram-negative microorganisms (for the development of nephrosis, Listeria spp., Bacillus anthracis); Escherichia coli, Enterobacter spp., Klebsiella spp., Salmonella spp., Shigella spp.), As well as Ricketsia spp., Chlamydia spp., Mycoplasma spp., Treponema spp. Resistant: Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Proteus spp., Serratia spp., Most strains of Bacteroides spp. and fungi, small viruses, beta-hemolytic streptococci of group A (including 44% of strains of Streptococcus pyogenes and 74% of strains of Streptococcus faecalis).
Tetracycline (eye ointment) has a very wide range of effects on the affected areas of the eyelids or skin. This is due to its antiseptic and antibacterial properties, which have a direct effect on gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria, which are the cause of infections. The drug does not have painful components, so it is absorbed gently and easily when applied to the affected skin. Due to the oppression of protein synthesis, has a bacteriostatic nature.
Indications for use
Tetracycline eye ointment 1% is used in the presence of barley, trachoma, blepharitis, conjunctivitis, as well as in any other eye diseases accompanied by infectious disease.
What helps the external form of release? Tetracycline ointment 3% can be used externally for acne, eczema with the addition of a secondary infection, boils, trophic ulcers and active reproduction of gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria.
If the patient needs to cure barley and other eye diseases, the drug should not be used simultaneously with other drugs of similar action. In addition, it is contraindicated in case of individual intolerance to the body.
Remedy for skin diseases can not be used for violations of the liver, mycosis, leukopenia, as well as hypersensitivity to the drug. In addition, the ointment is contraindicated in children under 8 years of age and women during the third trimester of pregnancy.
Dosage and method of use
As indicated in the instructions for use Tetracycline eye ointment is intended for topical external use. It gently lay behind the eyelid of the affected eye in a small amount every 2-4 hours. The duration of the course of therapy is determined by the severity and nature of the pathological process. For the treatment of trachoma, the duration of use of this drug should be at least 1-2 months.
The remedy for skin diseases is applied directly to the lesions. This should be done 1-2 times a day. Instructions for use Tetracycline ointment also indicates that it can be used with a dressing that changes every 12-24 hours. It is possible to apply means from several days to 2-3 weeks.
In cases where Tetracycline ointment is used for acne, it is applied to each pimple, that is, point.
In general, tetracycline eye ointment is well tolerated. Sometimes, against the background of its use, the development of local allergic reactions in the form of itching, a rash on the skin around the eyes, as well as its swelling may occur. Usually against the background of signs of negative adverse reactions, the use of ointment should be temporarily stopped and consult a medical specialist.
When using a remedy for skin diseases, itching, redness, burning sensation may appear. In this case, the use of ointment should be immediately discontinued. In addition, such side effects as nausea, loss of appetite, diarrhea, dysphagia, esophagitis, vomiting, abdominal pain, constipation, and glossitis are reported. In rare cases, angioedema and photosensitization were noted. With long-term use of funds can appear candidiasis, vitamin B deficiency, thrombocytopenia, a temporary increase in liver transaminases, bilirubin, alkaline phosphatase, residual nitrogen. The development of intestinal dysbacteriosis, neutropenia, hemolytic anemia is also noted.
Cases of overdose of tetracycline eye ointment in clinical practice to date have not been registered.
It is noted that prolonged use of Tetracycline ointment during the period of tooth formation (treatment of children in the first months of life) can cause a dark yellow color of the teeth, since the drug is deposited in dentin and tooth enamel.
Prolonged use of drugs of the tetracycline group can lead to complications caused by the development of candidiasis. In the treatment of candidiasis, antifungal antibiotics are used.
During treatment with tetracycline ointment, the patient’s condition should be carefully monitored. In the event of any signs of hypersensitivity to the drug or side effects, you should take a break in treatment, and if necessary, prescribe another antibiotic that does not belong to the tetracycline group.
Interaction with other drugs
This drug is not prescribed in conjunction with glucocorticosteroids, since the effect of the use of the latter can be significantly enhanced against the background of tetracycline activity, which leads to the manifestation of side effects.
We offer you to read the reviews of people who used Tetracycline ointment:
- Nina. With a long stay in the wind, the skin of my eyelids turns red, after night I notice a discharge on the eyelashes. The husband persuaded to go to an ophthalmologist, who, after examination, diagnosed conjunctivitis. The prescribed treatment was not expensive and simple: I was required to put tetracycline ointment on my eyelids for eight days. This remedy helped me, the symptoms disappeared.
- Olga I had experience using this ointment. All of a sudden, in the morning the eyes began to stick together from pus, looked on the Internet and came across information about tetracycline ointment. bought it. drug penny. the ointment was laid before bedtime, and after three days everything went away like a hand.
- Natalia. Yesterday I woke up in the morning with a sensation of sharpness in my eyes and sensitivity to light, it felt like I was pouring sand in there. Mom said that it is conjunctivitis, advised to use tetracycline ointment. I did just that, I felt the effect of this remedy after a few hours: the pain was gone, I could easily open my eyes. I advise everyone to this ointment.
The most popular analogues of this tool:
- Tobrex is used to cure contagious diseases. The ointment contains almost no adverse events, and is also not a drug of a specific age group. The only thing you need to pay attention to is the personal intolerance of the components of the ointment.
- Mikospor - solution has an extensive antifungal range of exposure. But how to use ointment for eyelids from inflammation, and what ointment is used most often.
- Erythromycin ointment is well tolerated by people who are allergic to penicillin preparations. Effective ointment for common gram-positive cocci bacteria. The drug is effective for the treatment of chronic diseases of the organs of vision, as a result of the defeat of chlamydia, in acute and chronic diseases of the skin.
- Nitrofungin - solution is presented to cure fungal skin lesions, including skin candidiasis, trichophytia, fungal diseases of the external auditory canal.
- Fuzime is used to cure skin inflammations, with furunculosis, hydradenitis.
- Hydrocortisone ointment has anti-inflammatory effects. In ophthalmology, ointment is used for viral, tuberculous lesions of the eye, as well as for infectious diseases including psoriasis, eczema.
Before buying an analogue, consult your doctor.
Shelf life and storage conditions
The tool must be kept in a cool and protected from direct sunlight place, at a temperature not higher than 15 ° C, out of reach of children. The drug is released without a prescription.
Shelf life of the drug for 3 years.